Sunday 11 December 2016

A New Leaf | The Curly Mother

Hello... My name is Amber and I am starting a new. Formerly, Atomic Amber, I have decided to move on from the 'pinup scene'. I haven't felt quite right in it for a long while but I carried on thinking it was just a phase that would pass. But it didn't and 11 months later here I am looking like a curly-haired mom from the 70s in my turtle neck and kick flare jeans. And I bloody love it!

There are many reasons why I have wanted to move away from my old style and scene but I wont bore you with the details (I will totally bore you with some of the details). Basically, I am just not cut out for the whole 'perfectionism' thing. I feel like I have to compete and this mumma just aint bout that life. I felt like the scene that boasted 'girl power' and supporting one another just wasn't what it seemed. I started to feel 'not good enough' and that's when I knew my time was up in the world of 40s/50s. In regards to the actual style, it just happened naturally. I drifted away from the long circle dresses and fell head over heels with the swingin' sixties at the end of last year when I was heavily pregnant. I feel more relaxed in the later eras and less bound by what gets you the most likes on social media.

The 70's is something I would have never imagined myself experimenting in. For a start, the thought of flares use to send shudders down my spine. My legs have always been my 'best feature' so the thought of hiding them in masses of fabric just seemed alien to me. However, I stepped out of my comfort zone and was pleasantly surprised. This year was the year I decided I wanted to embrace my natural hair and once I discovered the Curly Girl Method I never looked back. I feel like my naturals curls and the 60s/70s really compliment eachother which is something that is really important to me. I love that I don't have to slave over my hair with rollers and hairspray just to feel 'done'.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am in no way slating anyone here... I am just simply saying - it is not 'me' anymore. I still appreciate the style and the wonderful people in it. I have met some of the best people I know through it. I just don't feel as confident in a 50's wiggle dress as I do in a 60's mini.

Even though I have mentioned that I will be switching it up to the later eras I will be bound by them. I will wear what I want, how I want, when I want. Whether that's a jumper, jeans and trainers one day or a psychedelic shift and bright tights another. I want to be able to mix it up and not have people question my decision.

Since becoming a mother, my priorities changed massively. My concerns aren't whether the roll in my hair is still in one piece or whether my seams are straight. To be honest, I have never been a very high maintenance kinda gal anyway. I am a lady who will choose comfort first and foremost and I am totally cool with that. I want to reflect that through my online presence. I want to be real and relatable. I want to talk about motherhood and mental health.  The things that matter to me.
 

So, that's my update! I have a lot more to say but I'll save that for another post. I'm still working on this blog in terms of themes/links etc so apologies if there's a few glitches. I have SO much I want to share with you all and for the first time in a long while I am actually excited to get back on the blogging train!

I won't be offended if I am no longer your cup of tea, but if you are sticking with me then let me know if you have any blog/video requests regarding motherhood/lifestyle/hair/mental health.

All my love,

Amber xx

The Curly Mother

2 comments:

  1. Good on you! Style isn't everything, you're such a lovely lady and of course I'll be sticking with you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me so happy!!! You sound like you're in such a good place in your life. I have the same issues with the pinup community and also see my self continuously drifting from it. I love your style and your beautiful curly hair!

    ReplyDelete